Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why Everyone Should Carry Hand Sanitizer




Recently, I was at a mall with my girlfriend and we made a pit-stop to use the restrooms. While I was inside doing my things I couldn't help, but notice three guys leaving without stopping at the sink. After washing my hands I proceeded to the door and after someone entered I managed to catch it with my foot and swing it open to avoid touching the germ infested doorknob. Upon exiting the bathroom I dried my hands on my jeans and waited for my girlfriend ,with my back to the wall standing opposite the restrooms. As I waited, I entertained myself by watching as about a dozen men walked in and then out of the restroom. Now this particular restroom didn't have paper towels, just one of the air dryer deals that takes a decade to dry your hands. I know from experience that very few spend the time using them and the air dryer can be heard from the outside corridor. The air dryer was never turned on and not one guy leaving the bathroom was wiping their hands on their clothes or shaking them dry. In the few minutes that I stood in the corridor, twelve men went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands. As a result of this experience I see the world in a different light. Upon touching a doorknob I can't help, but wonder who's hand touched it last. Was it the guy standing next to me in the men's room that walked out without so much as a glance at the sink? Was it the lady in the self-help section at Border's that had a sneezing fit into her hand? I ponder this as I reach into my pocket for my hand sanitizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment